Gut Healing Golden Oats
Have you considered that every meal you eat is another opportunity to nourish your body, support your gut and feed your microbiome (the good bugs that live within your gut)?
This gut healing breakfast porridge is a nice variation to your standard porridge, full of gut-friendly ingredients to support a healthy and happy microbiome
Turmeric: a potent anti-inflammatory, supports digestion and liver detoxification
Blueberries: contain polyphenols which work as an antioxidant and promote the growth of certain strains of beneficial bacteria
Pumpkin seeds/pepitas: a wonderful source of fibre and zinc, which is essential for digestion enzyme production and gut healing
Oats:: a great prebiotic to feed your beneficial bacteria living in your gut
Kefir: lots of research on this fermented dairy product that contains live bacteria, making it a great probiotic to support a healthy, happy microbiome. Plus a nice source of protein to keep you feeling fuller for longer
Honey: early research is recognising honey as having potential prebiotic effects on our microbiome (plus it tastes absolutely beautiful with all the other ingredients in the porridge)
I’d love you to give it a go and let me know what you think!
- 1/3 cup oats
- 2/3 cup plant based milk (I used unsweetened almond milk or oat milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Small handful of chopped almonds
- The Culture Co Probiotic Yoghurt (vanilla)
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Honey or Maple Syrup to drizzle on top (optional)
- Heat oats and almond milk in a saucepan over a hot stove
- Add turmeric and cinnamon and combine well
- Cook until you get a creamy texture
- Serve in a bowl and top with a few spoonfuls of kefir, blueberries, chopped almonds, pumpkin seeds and drizzle with honey!