Functional Medicine Testing
"My blood tests came back normal, but I know I don't feel right"
If you can relate to this you're not alone! It's an all too common complaint I receive from my patients. Standard pathology tests used by GP's will look for significant pathology, identify red flags that indicate more serious disease states and can diagnose more sinister conditions. They are a necessary step in your healing journey, however many times standard blood tests don't always give us the information needed to identify more subtle changes in body before a full blown disease is identified.
Image already added
Image already added
ROOT CAUSE RESOLUTION
This is where specialised functional medicine testing is so valuable. These types of tests are often utilised by integrative doctors, functional medicine practitioners and naturopaths as a proactive way to delve deeper into your health concerns. They uncover any biochemical, hormonal, metabolic and nutritional imbalances that are negatively impacting your wellbeing and with proper interpretation and analysis can assist me in successful diagnosis and invidualised treatment.
Think of these tests as providing a crucial look into the behind the scenes of what's going on within your body. They provide a more detailed assessment of the potential root causes of your unwanted symptoms and in many instances, delivers the missing pieces of your health puzzle.
COMMON TESTS USED
As a patient of Bodhi Wellness, you have access to a number of further testing options to help us create your ultimate roadmap to health.
Some of the more common tests that are routinely used to evaluate your health include (but not limited to):
Think of this test as a map of your microbiome (gut bacteria). This advanced stool test looks microbes that cause disease or disrupt normal microbial balance which can contribute to your gut symptoms and more systemic chronic health issues.
It provides information on the balance of your good bacteria (do you have enough of these to maintain good health?), or problematic bacteria, as well as fungi, viruses, yeast and parasites.
Through measuring your Zonulin levels, this test can also determine whether you have increased intestinal permeability or ”leaky gut", which is a common contributor to autoimmune and inflammatory conditions.
This test is beneficial for those suffering with:
- Cramping pain
- Wind, gas, flatulence
- Recurrent gut infections
- Generalised poor health symptoms of fatigue, inflammatory problems, autoimmune conditions
INVESTMENT: $380 AUD
TEST TYPE: Stool sample
TURN AROUND TIME: approx. 3 weeks
DUTCH (Dried Urine Test for Comprehensive Hormones) testing is the most advanced and comprehensive hormone test due to the fact it measures your hormones and hormone metabolites. This gives us insight into hormone production and hormone breakdown.
Not only does this look at sex hormones (oestrogen, progesterone, testosterone) and their metabolites, it identifies any adrenal (stress hormone) dysfunction via cortisol, cortisone and DHEA testing.
DUTCH test now also looks at markers for neurotransmitters, B12, B6 and glutathione.
This test is a must when identifying underlying hormonal imbalances and how to better manage your symptoms of PMS, weight gain, heavy painful periods, infertility, migraines and headaches and more.
INVESTMENT: $385 AUD
TEST TYPE: Urine
TURN AROUND TIME: approx. 4 weeks
An important place to start when looking at how your nervous system, hormones and stress are impacting your overall health. This saliva test looks at 4 samples throughout the day to assess your cortisol and DHEA levels (as well as melatonin where required).
This test is extremely useful for anyone suffering with:
- Adrenal exhaustion
- Insomnia and other sleep problems
- Poor immune function such as repeated infections
- Depression and other mood disorders
- Weight gain
- Poor concentration / brain fog
INVESTMENT: $105-$140 AUD
TEST TYPE: Saliva
This is a breath test which can be performed in a specialised clinic or at home, testing for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (or SIBO). This is a common condition where where an overgrowth of otherwise normal bacteria that usually resides in the bowel, moves its way up into the small intestine and proliferates in problematic numbers. This can cause a range of unwanted gut symptoms such as:
- Alternating constipation and diarrhoea
- Abdominal cramping
- Bloating and gas
- Burping and reflux
- Food sensitivities
- Joint pain
- Skin rashes
- Mineral deficiencies
- It's also estimated that up to 80% of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) sufferers have SIBO.
The test helps identify what particular subtype of SIBO you have (ie: methane or hydrogen producing bacteria)
INVESTMENT: $285-375 AUD
TEST TYPE: breath test
This is a simple once-only saliva test, which helps you identify your "DNA blueprint" and learn how well your genes are matched to your present diet and lifestyle, as well as how you can unlock the full potential of your current and future health and wellness. This is based on the science of epigenetics and nutrigenomics. This test shows your predisposition to certain health and disease states and allows the practitioner to help personalise your diet and lifestyle to match your unique blueprint.
The different gene profiles this test covers includes:
- Weight loss profile – learn why you may be struggling with your weight and how to unlock your body’s secrets to weight loss
- Sports & Exercise profile – what exercise is best for your body, such as endurance or sprint and power, and are you more prone to muscle pain after exercise
- Lipid (cholesterol) profile – knowing your genetic profile enables an individual nutrition and diet program to help control your cholesterol
- High blood pressure risk – how to better manage blood pressure
- Liver detoxification capacity – how your body deals with toxins and substances such as caffeine, medications, heavy metals, hormones
- Anti-ageing profiling – to help you slow the rate of ageing
- Inflammation profile – how to reduce pain and inflammation
- Diabetes profile – know your risk and how to prevent it
- Bone health – risk/prevention of osteoporosis
- Oestrogenic profile – your ability to deal with oestrogens
- Lactose intolerance risk
- Coeliac disease risk
- Caffeine metabolism
- Salt sensitivity
- Specific nutrient needs – you may need specific nutrients based on your genes for example, Omega-3s, vitamin B2, B12, Vitamin C, Folate, Vitamin D, Vitamin E
- Nutrigenomic (gene appropriate diet) profile – what nutrients and diet is best for your genes
- Methylation profile & MTHFR – a very important profile to check for preconception, autism, ADHD, Alzheimer’s, stroke and cardiovascular disease risk
- Physiogenomic profile – risk factors for brain and mood health are covered in this panel plus how you’re wired to deal with stress, and change in the season
Please note: this type of testing does not:
- Predict the risk of diseases such as cancer
- Identify disease causing changes in genes